Checklist: Withdrawing for Military Duty
If you withdraw from the University due to being ordered to active duty, you are eligible for accommodations and protections if you follow the proper procedures. For more information please refer to this relevant section of the Campus Code of Policies and Regulations.
Students who wish to officially withdraw from the University due to military orders must follow established withdrawal procedures. The following checklist is a guide to help you through the process.
- If your orders are for Annual Training (AT), first officially request postponement of the orders until summer. If the request is denied, obtain a letter from your Commanding Officer verifying the denial.
- Obtain a copy of your military orders or a letter from your Commanding Officer
- Complete a Withdrawal from the University form which should be obtained from the Dean’s Office in your College or Graduate Department.
- Meet with your College Advising Office and provide them with a copy of your military orders. Based on specific course(s) in which you are enrolled and the point in the semester when the activation occurs, you may be advised to discuss incomplete contracts or independent study options.
- Notify the Veterans Support Services Coordinator of your plan to withdraw due to military orders. The Veterans Support Services Coordinator may also be able to help you through the withdrawal process if you are having difficulty.
- Contact the Office of Student Financial Aid. Submit a copy of the Withdrawal from the University form to OSFA along with a completed VA Form 21-4138 (Statement of Support of Claim) indicating the reason for the withdrawal.
- If you were recalled and have already departed campus after completing the withdrawal process, you should e-mail the following information to OSFAVeterans@illinois.edu. OSFA will acknowledge your e-mail and forward the withdrawal to the Department of Veterans Affairs (DVA) for processing.
- Your full name and social security number
- The date of withdrawal listed on your withdrawal form
- Your military unit designation
- A brief statement indicating the reason for the withdrawal
- If you need to break your lease due to activation or recall, be sure to contact the following:
- Tenant Union: (217) 333-0112 www.tenantunion.uiuc.edu/militaryclause.html
- Student Legal Services: (217) 333-9053 www.odos.uiuc.edu/sls