Mentoring Program for Illini Veterans
To support veterans transitioning to college after military service to foster academic and personal success.
VSSS seeks to make each new student veteran’s transition to the University of Illinois as smooth and positive as possible and to provide them with the support and resources needed to be successful.
- Ease the transition from military to the University of Illinois
- Improve student veterans sense of connectedness to the university
- Help increase student retention/academic performance rates
- Retention and engagement between student veterans
- Development and professional relationships
- Create culture of continuous learning
- Mentor and Mentee should meet once a week for the first 4 weeks. Then the rest of the semester on a by request basis
- Mentor and Mentee will keep a one on one mentoring program for one full semester
- Meeting will take place in a setting that is most comfortable with both mentor and mentee
- Mentors will be sophomore or higher, must be in good academic standing and current student
- Mentors should try to be in the same program
Read the full Mentoring Program Guidelines.
How to apply
Donwload and complete the Student Veteran Mentor Application (pdf).