Main Content

Illinois has a variety of academic programs with flexible options to complete courses on campus and online. In this section, you will find information about the many academic and online programs that are available at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign.

Frequently Asked Questions

Veterans Support Services has created a Step-by-Step Guide to help step you through the application process. As a first step, you can begin preparing to apply (freshman | transfer) and find more information about the admissions process by visiting the University of Illinois Undergraduate Admissions page or the Graduate Admissions page.

Illinois has tremendous breadth and depth in academics, with over 150 undergraduate and more than 100 graduate and professional programs in 17 major colleges and academic units. Additionally, Illinois offers more than 100 of its programs completely online or mostly online.

Student Veterans at the University of Illinois may pursue degrees in disciplines ranging from Accountancy, Actuarial Sciences, or Advertising to Special Education, Speech and Hearing Science, Technical Systems Management, or Urban and Regional Planning, and almost anything in between. For more information on courses and programs at Illinois, check out the course catalog.

The University grants registered students college credit for certain training and experience in the armed forces of the United States. Review of military transcripts is completed in the Office of Admissions. Coursework which is completed at a regionally-accredited, post-secondary institution and posted on a military transcript is only acceptable when a transcript from that institution is received. In other words, you will need to have transcripts from all institutions attended sent directly to the University of Illinois.

Many student Veterans have trouble finding reliable or complete information about the particular types of military training and experience that is awarded credit at Illinois, and often find the process complex, obscure and arbitrary as a result. Veteran Support Services is working to resolve this complexity.

In order to help you understand what credit is and is not generally eligible for transfer, the following information is offered as a guideline. Please note: applicability of military credit toward a particular degree is determined by the dean of each college. All criteria are subject to the recommendation of the college of enrollment and the department that offers similar coursework.

As a general rule, in order for previously non-articulated domestic coursework to be acceptable for transfer, it must meet the following requirements:

  • It must be posted on an official transcript from a regionally accredited post-secondary degree-granting institution.
  • It must be similar in scope, nature and level of difficulty to coursework offered on this campus (i.e., it must be at a baccalaureate level in content).
  • It must be similar to coursework offered on this campus. For example, since Illinois does not offer a degree in Police Science or Criminal Science, such coursework is not normally accepted for transfer. (An exception might be if the coursework listed on an official syllabus is reviewed and found to be substantially similar to courses offered at Illinois).

The most common reason military coursework is not articulated as transfer credit is that most coursework posted on a military transcript is not baccalaureate level in content. Military Occupational Specialty (MOS) or military-oriented coursework which is career, technical or vocational in nature and not baccalaureate degree-oriented is not generally acceptable for transfer; however, upon request, vocational credit related to the student's curriculum choice may be referred for consideration to the dean of the college in which the student is enrolled.

Additionally, after admission, students not awarded credit under campus policy may attempt departmental proficiency examinations to receive credit in those areas in which they claim competence.

If you feel that you deserve credit for courses that are not accepted for transfer upon initial review, the Veteran Student Support Services Coordinator can work with you, the Office of Admissions and the Office of Records, and the dean of your college on a case-by-case basis to try to get you the credit you feel you deserve.

Per campus or college policy, the following types of military training credit are normally accepted for transfer:

  • Four (4) semester hours of lower division military science credit is granted for transfer admission only, if a minimum of 6 months of continuous active duty was completed and an honorable discharge is listed on the DD-214 or similar document (if separation is not yet permanent). Such credit may be used for admission purposes up to a maximum of 16 semester hours. Credit duplicating ROTC credit will not be awarded. Lower division military science credit satisfies no graduation requirements for any University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign programs of study. In other words, per campus policy, no programmatic credit (i.e. general education, free elective hours or supporting coursework for a major, etc.) will be granted for lower division military science coursework, including ROTC-type coursework offered on this campus or any other college or university campus.
  • The College of Liberal Arts and Sciences may grant up to nine (9) semester hours of upper division Military/Naval Science credit for upper division (junior/senior-level) ROTC military science coursework and/or the two Marine Corps Platoon Leaders Classes. This credit may be used to satisfy free elective hours. The other colleges on this campus may have other restrictions concerning the use of such coursework to satisfy degree requirements as free elective hours. Based on this, students should contact their respective colleges and inquire about acceptance of this coursework.
  • The College of Engineering will grant up to four (4) semester hours of PHYS 1 (100 level Physics elective credit, which satisfies free elective hours) for completion of the U.S. Navy’s Nuclear Propulsion School. This must be posted on a Navy transcript. Presently, the College of Engineering is the only college to grant this credit.
  • Upper division ACE (American Council on Education) Military Guide Credit Recommendations: If such coursework falls within the parameters for regular coursework, it may be granted transfer credit. Upper division recommendations for credit are quite rare for most MOS training and other military coursework. Upper division coursework completed at the Defense Language Institute and documented on an official transcript may be acceptable for transfer credit to satisfy foreign language or area studies requirements or as free elective credit.
  • Correspondence courses for which the student has passed the end-of-course examination prepared by the U. S. Armed Forces Institute (prior to 1 July 1974), that are baccalaureate-oriented, and that correspond in level and content to courses offered at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign are recognized for credit.
  • AP Test credit and International Baccalaureate credit may be awarded for qualifying scores in eligible disciplines or subject areas.

Per campus or college policy, the following types of credit are not normally accepted for transfer (at this time):

  • Experience-based credit: the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign does not accept any credit for experiential coursework or life experience posted on any transfer transcript. A student who believes himself or herself to be knowledgeable in a specific course may be granted credit hours through established proficiency procedures by the college of enrollment and the department offering a similar course after admission and registration. Students are encouraged to sign-up for relevant proficiency exams, usually offered during the beginning of each semester.
  • CLEP credit: Per campus policy, CLEP examination credit is not accepted for transfer since Fall 2003.
  • DANTES credit: Per campus policy, DANTES credit is not accepted.
  • Lower division ACE Military Guide Credit Recommendations: Per campus policy, lower division credit recommendations are not acceptable.
  • Physical education credit or ROTC physical fitness training: Per campus policy, no physical education credit is granted for Basic or Advanced Training. No credit is granted for ROTC physical fitness training completed on this campus.
  • Credit earned in academic courses sponsored by non-collegiate organizations, such as business, industry, and labor, and those not recognized by the April 1977 Board of Trustees policy statement are not normally accepted. Such work may be evaluated by the college for potential credit toward a specific degree program after admission and registration, subject to validation by proficiency examination or successful completion of advanced coursework. Credit hours may be reduced at the discretion of the college of enrollment from that shown by the originating agency.

Veterans Support Services has organized a mentorship program known as Vet Connect, similar to the sponsorship program you may have participated in when you arrived at your first duty station in the military. Vet Connect is an excellent way to get linked-up with a currently enrolled student Veteran who can answer your questions and assist you with your transition to the University. Vet Connect sponsors provide campus tours, assistance with meeting your program advisor, introductions to other student Veterans and members of the Illini Veterans student organization, and help you become familiar with the local community.

To be assigned a Vet Connect sponsor, contact the Veteran Student Support Services Coordinator.

The University of Illinois system offers many online courses, including over 100 degree and certificate programs that can be completed online or mostly online. Many online universities offer convenience, but at the University of Illinois, you get a quality education and a wide selection of disciplines as well. To find the online classes or online degree programs that interest you, go to the Online Course Catalog.

The Online Course Catalog contains detailed descriptions of individual online classes, complete online degree programs and certificates offered by the three campuses of the University of Illinois. Students must be admitted to one of the University of Illinois campuses in order to complete online coursework. For information about applying to Illinois, visit the relevant admissions pages below:

Online & Continuing Education currently accepts the following Veterans benefits (subject to student eligibility of benefits):

For OCE self-paced online courses: County Child of Veterans, Federal and State ROTC, Illinois Veterans Grant, MIA-POW Scholarship, and National Guard Grant.

For semester-based online and site-based courses: Veterans may use Federal Veterans Programs and State of Illinois Veterans Programs.

Programs of Study

Illinois offers more than 150 undergraduate and more than 100 graduate and professional programs. For a listing of major academic units at the University of Illinois, visit Illinois Academics.

Undergraduate Programs

Online & Continuing Education

Illinois Online is proud to serve those in the military and veterans, as well as other students, through online standalone courses, certificates and degree programs offered by the Urbana campus of the University of Illinois. Throughout the year, Illinois Online offers courses in more than 70 subject areas. Some classes are scheduled by semester, many others are self-paced courses. Financial aid benefits may apply.
901 West University Ave. Urbana, IL 61801
Phone: (217) 333-1320
Toll-Free: (800) 252-1360M

Academic Advising

Academic advising is an essential part of successful college planning. The University of Illinois offers you a wide range of academic advising support throughout your college career. The links below provide further details about academic advising at Illinois and within each of the major academic units.

Academic Advising by College