University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign

Health Services


What kinds of health services are available to me at UIUC?

As a student at the University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign, you have access to a number of health services. If you are a student taking 6 or more hours at UIUC, your Health Services Fee allows you to receive the primary services at McKinley Health Center and The Counseling Center on campus. Qualified students with disabilities may also benefit from services offered by Disability Resources and Education Services (DRES).

The University Student Health Insurance plan, which all students are automatically enrolled in unless or until they file a qualifying exemption, provides worldwide coverage with the student's choice of provider. In the event of an emergency or severe illness or injury, this plan also covers treatment received at the two excellent hospitals near campus, Carle Foundation Hospital and Provena-Covenant Medical Center.

In addition to these services, veterans who are eligible for VA health care services may receive treatment at the nearby VA Illiana Health System in Danville, about 40 minutes from campus, or at one of the community-based outpatient clinics located in Decatur, Mattoon, Peoria, or Springfield, Illinois or in West Lafayette, Indiana.

All Veterans are potentially eligible and OEF/OIF Combat Veterans are strongly encouraged to apply for enrollment in the VA health care system within 5 years of discharge or release from service.

back to top >>


Can I use Veterans Health Administration (VA) health benefits while I am at UIUC?

As a Veteran, you are potentially eligible to receive Veterans Affairs health care services. Veterans who are eligible for VA health care services may receive treatment at the nearby VA Illiana Health System in Danville, about 40 minutes from campus, or at one of the community-based outpatient clinics located in Decatur, Mattoon, Peoria, or Springfield, Illinois or in West Lafayette, Indiana.

back to top >>


I am an OEF/OIF Veteran. What Veterans Health Administration (VA) health benefits are available to me?

In addition to standard VA health benefits, which all veterans are potentially eligible to receive, as an OEF/OIF Veteran, you may be eligible for the additional programs and benefits below:

5 Years of Cost Free Health Care — OEF/OIF combat Veterans can receive cost free medical care for any condition related to their service in the Iraq/Afghanistan theater for five years after the date of their discharge or release. In order to take advantage of these benefits, OEF/OIF Vets need to enroll in VA's health care system. Don't delay!

180 day dental benefit — OEF/OIF combat Veterans may be eligible for one-time dental care — but you must apply with 180 days of your separation date from active duty. More info: Combat Veterans Fact Sheet.

OEF/OIF combat Veterans are strongly encouraged to enroll in VA health care within the 5 year period after discharge or release.

back to top >>


What are the University of Illinois' policies regarding the accommodation of students with disabilities?

Rules 1 and 4 of the Code of Policies and Regulations Applying to All Students respectively state UIUC policy related to nondiscrimination, and the procedure whereby students may request and receive disability-related accommodations and auxiliary aids and services. The Code of Policies and Regulations Applying to All Students may be accessed through the Office of Affirmative Action's home-page at More specific policy and procedure information related to disability services for students may be obtained by accessing the Disability Resource Guide on the Disability Resources and Educational Services' homepage located at

back to top >>


Where do I go if I need assistance or an accommodation for a disability?

Students with disabilities should contact Disability Resources and Education Services (DRES) for help with academic modifications and adjustments, auxiliary aids and services and environmental adaptations. DRES offers a variety of services to ensure that qualified individuals with disabilities are afforded an equal opportunity to participate in and benefit from the opportunities available at the University of Illinois. You can find a list of DRES services on the DRES Services page.

back to top >>


Where can I find more information about Student Health Insurance Plan and the Health Services Fee?

To answer most student and parent questions about the health services UIUC offers through the Student Health Insurance plan and the Health Service Fee, Student Affairs has developed an overview of the UIUC health benefits called Student Health Benefits: 101. Additional questions should be directed to the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign Student Insurance Office.

Also see McKinley handout: Your Health Care Coverage.

back to top >>


I am enrolled in Tricare or the VA Health Care System. Can I opt out of Student Health Insurance?

Veterans or their dependents who are covered by Tricare or another health insurance plan may qualify for an exemption from student insurance fees. Those students who are covered under (a) a major employee health insurance plan or (b) an independent or travel plan with a minimum of $200,000 in benefits may meet the equivalent insurance requirement necessary to be exempted.

The equivalent plan must be in effect prior to the first day coverage of the Student Health Insurance Plan for the semester in which the exemption is being requested. The student will be required to maintain an equivalent health insurance plan for the duration of his or her registration. Get more info here.

back to top >>


How can I change my Student Health Insurance enrollment at UIUC?

Each semester during the Enrollment/Change period (only) students can: add a dependent to Student Insurance coverage, request an extension of coverage, request reinstatement to Student Insurance, or request an exemption from Student Insurance coverage.

Forms and other information pertaining to Student Health Insurance plans are available at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign Student Insurance Office website ( Please go to the Download Enrollment/Change Forms page under the 'Forms' menu to download all Enrollment/Change period forms.

back to top >>


Where can I go to speak to someone about Mental Health or Substance Abuse Services?


If suicide or self-harm is imminent, contact the Police Department immediately at 911 (9-911 on campus) or call the Suicide Prevention Team at the Counseling Center at (217) 333-3704 during office hours. After hours, contact the Crisis Line at (217) 359-4141.

Any individual (friend, relative, faculty, residence hall staff) can notify the Suicide Prevention Team if a student they know makes a suicidal threat or attempt and is no longer in imminent danger.

If you are having a non-suicide mental health emergency, please call The Counseling Center at (217) 333-3704, Monday – Friday between 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. You may also “walk-in” to The Counseling Center to speak to someone during normal hours.

Contact the Emergency Dean at 333-0050 for other emergencies.



Students at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign have access to several mental health and substance abuse counseling resources on campus and in the surrounding community. Both McKinley Health Center and The Counseling Center on campus offer Mental Health Services. DRES also offers counseling for eligible students.

Students also have access to local resources and services available through Community Elements and Provena-Covenant Medical Center.

Student Veterans eligible for VA Health Care Services have access to Mental Health professionals and Substance Abuse resources through the nearby VA Illiana Health System in Danville, Illinois, about 40 minutes from campus, or at one of the community-based outpatient clinics located in Decatur, Mattoon, Peoria, or Springfield, Illinois or in West Lafayette, Indiana. The Vet Centers in Springfield and Peoria, Illinois and Indianapolis, Indiana also offer Mental Health and Substance Abuse resources.

back to top >>


Is there an app for my phone that can help me learn about Post Traumatic Stress and manage its symptoms?

The PTSD Coach app can help you learn about and manage symptoms that commonly occur after trauma. Find out more.

back to top >>


What immunizations does Illinois require for students at UIUC?

Students must submit documentation of immunization against measles, mumps, rubella and tetanus to the McKinley Health Center in their first semester on campus. This is a state requirement and failure to provide this documentation may block the student’s ability to register for classes in subsequent semesters. Students are also advised to obtain a meningitis inoculation, but it is not required.

back to top >>


How do I make an appointment for treatment at McKinley or the Counseling Center?

Each student has their own primary care provider at McKinley and a web-based appointment system available 24 hours a day allows students to make appointments with their primary care providers.

To schedule an appointment for the following clinics, please call Monday through Friday. For on-line appointment scheduling, click on the "Schedule" link in the On-line column below for the appropriate clinic.

Clinic On-line Phone Phone Hours
Health Education   333-2714 8am-5pm
Immunization and Travel Clinic   333-2702  
Medical Clinics* Schedule 333-2700 8am-5pm
Mental Health   333-2705 8am-5pm
SportWell Center   244-0261 8am-5pm
Women's Health   333-2700 8am-5pm

*Some appointments are available for on-line scheduling using My McKinley.

To CANCEL* an appointment call 244-6066, 7 days a week, 24-hours a day. Please leave your name, University ID number, date and time of your appointment and who your appointment is with.

*NOTE* If you need to cancel an appointment you must call at least two hours prior to your scheduled appointment time. Failure to do so will result in a $10 fee charged to your student account.

If you are charged for a missed appointment and feel the charge is in error, you may download and complete the Did Not Keep Appointment (DNKA) form (requires Adobe Acrobat Reader) and mail the completed form via Campus or U.S. Mail to McKinley Health Center for consideration.

The Counseling Center
Initial Appointments are made on a same-day basis by calling the Counseling Center (333-3704) any time after 7:50 a.m. These appointments tend to fill up quickly, and students are encouraged to call early on the day that they would like to meet with a counselor.

Your first appointment will provide you with an opportunity to talk confidentially with a counselor about your immediate concerns. Your counselor will talk with you about some of the reasons you scheduled the appointment and will evaluate what services or resources will be most helpful for you. Some students find that talking with a counselor once is sufficient to resolve the immediate concern. If further services would be beneficial, these will be discussed and a recommendation will be made by the counselor. These additional services may include resources offered by the Counseling Center or referral to another campus or community resource.

The Counseling Center also provides emergency consultations to students with urgent mental health concerns between 8:00 am and 5:00 pm, Monday through Friday. Please call 217-333-3704 if you have an immediate need to meet with a counselor. After 5:00 pm and on weekends, please contact the Crisis Line at 217-359-4141 to speak with a counselor.

back to top >>


What other health and wellness programs are available on the UIUC campus?

The University of Illinois offers wellness programs through the UI Wellness Center on the Concourse Level of the Activities and Recreation Center (ARC), 201 East Peabody Drive, in Champaign.

Open Monday thru Friday: 8:30 a.m. - 5:00 p.m., The UI Wellness Center empowers the Illinois community to incorporate healthful practices into their lives, and to help create a culture of wellness that supports healthy living, personal growth, and enhanced quality of life. Our goal is to help students, faculty, and staff attain successful and fulfilling studies, work and life.

The UI Wellness Center serves the campus community by providing:

  • A place for wellness: Faculty, staff and students are welcome to visit our resource center, attend programs or consult with our wellness partners.
  • A referral system: The Center is built around a powerful coalition of campus-based partners who provide wellness services. Referrals to a wide variety of services are available through the Center.
  • A growing body of life enhancing programs for faculty, staff, and students.

back to top >>